[PLUG] Mounting iPod, gtkpod, and permissions

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jun 3 18:00:53 UTC 2006

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 09:38:26 -0700
Auke Kok <sofar at foo-projects.org> dijo:

> it's all in the fstab line, the permissions of the mountpoint don't really
> matter, as they will be superposed by the permissions of the root node of the
> mounted filesystem as you mount it (a tad confusing, of course).
>
> here's what my shuffle fstab line says:
> /dev/sda1       /media/ishuffle             auto    noauto,user,rw 0 0
>
> for an ordinarly ipod that would become:
> /dev/sda2       /media/ishuffle             auto    noauto,user,rw 0 0

I had a line in fstab, but I #'d it and put yours in instead (changing
ishuffle to iPod). And now it works!

> I let gtkpod handle the mounting/unmounting, and be done with it.

I had tried this before, but kept getting error messages. But now that
the (apparently) correct line is in fstab, it works. Much easier! I can
just plug in the iPod, wait a few seconds, and launch gtkpod. And then
closing gtkpod unmounts it. Except I still double-check from a command
line -- jerking an iPod out without unmounting it is a good way to
screw up the database.

Thanks for the help!