[PLUG] Dapper Drake upgrade

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Jun 6 05:14:14 UTC 2006

On Monday 05 June 2006 9:42 pm, Bruce Kilpatrick wrote:
> Carla,
>
> I just did the same thing.  I edited my sources.list to show all dapper.
> Then I did the apt-get update...apt-get upgrade...apt-get dist-upgrade
> thing...then I went and read the Ubuntu wiki...
>
> The last line in the upgrade section says:
>
> EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! Make sure you type  dist-*upgrade*  rather than
>  *upgrade* . The process will totally hose your machine and render it
> *completely unbootable* otherwise.
>
> I think I know why my system is running sooooo slooooowly now.
> I am currently burning a dapper cd to do a fresh install.

That doesn't even make sense, because it's routine Debian maintenance to run
apt-get upgrade regularly. I have it in a daily cron job. That's how you get
updates and patches without pain, and keep everything current. At what magic
point must you stop before running a dist-upgrade? I'm starting to think
Ubuntu folks don't understand Debian very well.