[PLUG] Fontconfig

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 19:20:59 UTC 2006

On 6/7/06, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>    Anyone here experienced with fontconfig? I installed -2.3.95 last week to
> make the installed fonts visible to The GIMP. Now the display fonts on most
> web pages (firefox-1.5.0.4) and in OO.o are terrible: jagged and difficult to
> read. I suspect that fontconfig has something to do with this, but I don't
> know how or what to do about it. However, uninstalling the application does
> not make the fonts anti-aliased and easy to read.
>
>    When I look at the docs, I get the impression that fontconfig is supposed
> to make all installed fonts available to those applications that cannot find
> them by themselves. This is apparently true for The GIMP. Now all installed
> fonts are available there.
>
>    Running fc-list shows me a huge list of fonts installed all over the place
> (not only /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/).
>
>    The poor rendition is hard on my eyes. I'd like to get the anti-aliased
> fonts back again. Suggestions wanted.

Is anti-aliasing working at all?  It is possible you didn't configure
anti-aliasing support when you built fontconfig.

Did you try rebuilding the font cache?  All the font directories have
a fonts.cache-1 file.  I wouldn't be surprised if the format changed
with the upgrade and the fonts aren't being found.  If the fc-list is
listing lots of fonts, then this may not be the problem.  The command
is fc-cache.

Next, check the fontconfig configuration in /etc/fonts.  You may have
overwritten the old configuration when installing it.

 - Ian