[PLUG] Recommendations for CSS Reference Book?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jun 9 03:23:38 UTC 2006

   As I use emacs to write the .css and .xhtml files, I'll claim this question
as linux topical.

   I've read a number of web pages and a couple of books on positioning with
CSS, but I still don't really understand it well. I'd like recommendations
among the thousands of books out there on which might help me save time and
effort.

   My current conundrum is placing two images within a banner division, so
that each is at a side of the browser window, but they adjust spacing as the
window narrows. The only way I can get them in the approximately correct
position for my browser window size is with absolute positioning. But this
means that the right-side one doesn't adjust. Since the order is banner
container, header-1, header-2, I don't know whether the banner container or
header-1 is the parent against which header-2 tries to position itself. I
hope I've confused you as much as I've confused me.

   Anyway, I'd really like a reference or two to help me better understand how
containers position themselves relative to each other in a cascading style
sheet. If there are some really good web sites, that would save me the cost
of the book.

TIA,

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.             |  The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)  |          Accelerator