[PLUG] Dapper Drake upgrade

Michael M. nixlists at writemoore.net
Mon Jun 12 06:59:40 UTC 2006

Charlie Schluting wrote:
> Carla Schroder wrote:
>
>> I just upgraded two Breezy systems to Dapper, one AMD-64 and one i386. I
>> didn't experience anything like in the bug report. There were a few minor
>> glitches, like printing is still fuxx0red but fixable, and some of my personal
>> configs got stomped. So be sure your dotfiles and /etc are backed up.
>>

> That's a serious problem with many Linux packaging systems. One of the
> main reasons I still say it isn't "enterprise ready."
>
> Does anyone know if this is expected with debian? Or is it a result of
> some ubuntu weirdness?
>
> -Charlie

Well, I run Debian Sid (unstable), so there's really nothing to upgrade
to.  But I've read many messages from users on the Debian mailing lists
saying that they've upgraded their stable systems without problems --
that is, upgrading from an older stable release (like Woody) to the
current stable release (Sarge), which would be more-or-less the
equivalent of upgrading from Breezy to Dapper.  OTOH, apparently there
is a lot of pain for people who run testing when it comes to releases.
Many users' testing systems were completely broken when Sarge became
stable and was replaced by Etch.  Supposedly, the devs are going to try
to figure out how to smooth that transition next time around, when Etch
becomes stable sometime later this century.  :-)

I'm becoming convinced that the way Arch Linux does it is best -- just
track current, and there's no need to "upgrade" because you're always
current.  This is somewhat akin to running Debian Sid.  The downside to
these is that any given update could hose your system, so it's not
really appropriate for the production ("enterprise-ready") systems.  But
it removes the pain of needing to upgrade between releases.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson