[PLUG] automatic firewall rules adder?

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Mon Jun 12 16:28:32 UTC 2006

Brent Rieck wrote:
> Hello,
>   I seem recall somebody here mentioning a program that would scan your
> log files for failed login attempts via ssh and then add those IP
> addresses to your firewall rules.  Was I dreaming?  Or does such a
> program already exists?

I think your block list would get huge after a while.  I don't know
anything about iptables, but OpenBSD's pf has the ability to detect
brute force attempts in general, not just SSH.  Here is a link that
talks about it as well as a util to clean out the table after IP's have
aged.  This way they're not blocked forever.

   http://legonet.org/~griffin/openbsd/block_ssh_bruteforce.html

Maybe iptables can do this too.

--
- m0gely