[PLUG] new guy with questions

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 02:03:40 UTC 2006

On 6/12/06, Eric Biggs <eric.biggs at hotmail.com> wrote:
> In addition to all this my intention is to start learning C++, oh ya, my
> current connection is dial-up and will be getting DSL soon, (a week or
> so...I'm a poor student).

Can you go into your motivation for learning C++?  (As opposed to
other languages.)
Are you learning to program, or are you just looking to improve your
repitoire of languages?

Since you asked, my distro suggestion is Ubuntu, which is a variant of
Debian.  I like both distributions, but I have found the ubuntu
installation to be easier than debian.

> So that's my intention.  What would be the next step?

Go to a clinic, hack day, or install fest where you can get free help
from other geeks.  John's suggestion is a very good one.

--Rogan

ps: Be prepared.  People can feel *very* strongly about their Linux
choices and suggestions, which isn't that surprising, since there is
so much to choose.  Also, if at first you are frustrated by linux,
remember that you have enough control to remedy the sources of your
frustration.  (although, that freedom can at times be frustrating...)