[PLUG] new guy with questions

Jason R. Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 02:06:22 UTC 2006

On 6/12/06, Eric Biggs <eric.biggs at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I'm new and have questions that I think can only be answered by people here,
> I foolishly attempted to inquire at local computer stores....
>
> I want to get rid of Windows and start running Linux, thanks to surfing I
> now know a little bit about the OS but need some guiding on chosing the
> right distribution.
>
> I am looking to run my BibleWorks program and soon Nota Bene (word
> processor) and also start doing some day-trading with currencies eventually
> utilizing RealTick.  Right now with the initial switch I am thinking of
> doing the Taboo, and running my Office Suite (that's all I have right now).
> In addition to all this my intention is to start learning C++, oh ya, my
> current connection is dial-up and will be getting DSL soon, (a week or
> so...I'm a poor student).
>
> So that's my intention.  What would be the next step?

I'll second John's advice to come to the Linux Clinic at FreeGeek next
weekend.  There you can find Linux in action, talk to experts, and
take home an Ubuntu Live CD to try out, which allows you to use Linux
for a while without modifying your existing installation.

The software you listed is primarily Windows software, which will not
easily run under Linux.  Perhaps this is an opportunity for you to
explore other open-source software, such as OpenOffice.org and Mozilla
Firefox, both which are available for Windows as well as Linux.

What you do *not* want to do is blindly install Linux for the first
time without any preparation, because you will lose all your existing
data.  Come to the clinic, we'll help you understand what you're
getting into and help you get started.

Jason