FAQ, dating webpages - was Re: [PLUG] clinic

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Jun 13 06:36:32 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 07:32:20PM -0700, Jason R. Martin wrote:
> Looks like the PLUG FAQ needs to be updated:
>
> http://www.pdxlinux.org/faq.html#clinic
>
> The main site shows the correct location.

I try to put "page last modified" dates at the bottom of all my
webpages (I don't always remember!).  It seems neighborly to let
readers know the last time a human being reviewed the information,
so they can estimate its validity.

Pages that have information about stuff that can change should
be dated.  Not filesystem dates;  pages can be touched or moved
without actually changing!  If a page is changed in haste
without changing the date, well, perhaps the date represents the
last time someone actually thought about what they were doing!

Perhaps we need to (1) put dates on pages, and (2) develop some
informal system of spreading out the work of maintaining pages
to interested members.  Then pages can have a change date AND
a person responsible!

Keith