[PLUG] dsl

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Jun 14 06:07:05 UTC 2006

>> Got DSL stuff today...
>>
>> Got a cisco 687 router...
>>
>> Do I need a cross over to connect that to my hub??

Larry> depends on your hub or switch.  Newer switches have auto
Larry> sensing such that you don't need a cross-over.  Older hubs that
Larry> have a uplink port don't need a cross-over if you use the
Larry> uplink port.  A hub or switch that has neither will need the
Larry> cross-over cable.

I think that's wrong.  The Cisco 678's (and 675's before them) came
with yellow cross-over cables that were used to connect directly to a
PC NIC (I've got just such a cable connected right now, I am talking
through it).  That implies you'd want a straight-through for a
hub/switch.

seniorr at aracnet.com