[PLUG] Screwed

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jun 19 05:53:25 UTC 2006

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 21:47:46 -0700
AthlonRob <AthlonRob at axpr.net> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > when you're in a man page and it says "END" you hit Ctrl-z
> > to get out, right?
>
> No, ctrl+z suspends the active terminal application.  Use fg to resume
> it.  bg to resume it in the background.  You hit "q" to get out of less
> or a man page once you're done with it.
>
> Don't use ctrl+z unless you want to suspend the application you're using
> to do something else...

In my mind, I wasn't in an application. An application is OpenOffice.org Writer. It is Sylpheed. It is Firefox. It is NOT a terminal window. But that is really irrelevant.

My bitch is that YOU know how to get out of the situation, but I did not. I am an ordinary user. It would have taken maybe ten seconds for the developer to have added a line after "END" that said how to get out of it. Instead, the developer assumed I had your knowledge of Linux. As a result I am now faced with the problem of how to clean up a godawful mess. I refuse to accept the blame for poor documentation.

OK, I'm going to shut up now and go to bed. In the morning perhaps I will be in a better mood.