[PLUG] Screwed

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Jun 19 19:46:58 UTC 2006

On Sunday 18 June 2006 9:14 pm, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> Tip to programmers: Give the user an effin' CLUE. Some of us were not
> born knowing how to run Linux from the command line.

If you're going to be your own sysadmin, you better acquire the knowledge to
do it right. I agree that a lot of program output and error messages could be
more helpful and friendlier. On the other hand, this is not some sort of wild
new undocumented cutting-edge task- it is very well-documented. Wise persons
study first. If reading howtos is too tedious, practice on a nothing-to-lose
system, not your main PC.

An operating system upgrade is not trivial. Only in the Linux world is this a
routine task requiring just a little bit of knowledge to perform
successfully. Pretty amazing piece of engineering, it is. Don't blame the
devs for your lack of preparation.