[PLUG] Mean dependency killer needed, Clark Kent size

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jun 20 01:07:44 UTC 2006

Well, I HAD it running. My upgrade of Breezy to Dapper, I mean. Only a
couple problems remained, and I thought they would be simple.

The first one I tackled was that OO.o would not launch and its icon
that I keep in the gnome panel turned into a ? inside a yellow
triangle. I decided to do a reinstall, so I opened Synaptic. But
Synaptic announced I had broken packages. So I used the Broken Package
filter to find them and reinstall them. That solved the problem for all
but ia32-libs.

Now, as far as I can tell, the whole damn Ubuntu operating system needs
ia32-libs. OK, that may be a bit of an exaggeration. But it seems like
everything uses it, and everything seems to depend on it. At least that
seems to be true for OO.o, the nvidia-glx driver, streamtuner, and
several other libraries. Synaptic won't touch it.

Ubuntu Dapper-64 forums are full of posts from users having problems
with it. One person said he managed to fix it by going to a command
line, removing nvidia-glx, removing ia32-libs, then reinstalling
nvidia-glx. That didn't work for me. I successfully removed nvidia-glx,
but when I tried to remove ia32-libs, all I got was an error message.

Another person said he had success when he renamed /etc/bin/ldd
to /etc/bin/ldd.old (I may have misremembered the folders). Didn't work
for me.

I've tried:

sudo apt-get -f remove -- which said it could not remove ia32-libs
sudo dpkg --configure -a -- which said it couldn't deal with ia32-libs
sudo apt-get dist-update -- which said it finished except there was an
unmet dependency with ia32-libs sudo apt-get remove ia32-libs -- which
said it couldn't remove ia32-libs

And finally, the command that is supposed to make the dead walk again:

sudo apt-get remove ia32-libs --purge

Which still won't touch it.

And after all the messing around, now it won't boot to the GUI any more.

Any suggestions?