[PLUG] Screwed

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Tue Jun 20 05:11:14 UTC 2006

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> In my mind, I wasn't in an application. An application is OpenOffice.org Writer. It is Sylpheed. It is Firefox. It is NOT a terminal window. But that is really irrelevant.

So applications are only things that have a GUI? Or could it be that
your definition of application is a little narrow?

A terminal is an application. You can run other applications in the
terminal, if you run the terminal in the right mode. It's also possible
to run the terminal in such a mode that it won't run but one application
in it, and that it exits when you close that application. That doesn't
make the terminal any less of an application.

> My bitch is that YOU know how to get out of the situation, but I did not.
Were we born with that information? No. We learned it by reading manuals
or somehow coming across the information just as you have. I'm sure you
are not the first person to do this, and you certainly won't be the last.
>  I am an ordinary user. It would have taken maybe ten seconds for the developer to have added a line after "END" that said how to get out of it.
How is the programmer to know what pager program you are using? What if
you are using a pager that uses [left-ctrl][right-shift][F1] to quit,
and they put in that you press [ctrl]z to quit?

There are many pagers, and not all of them use ctrl-z to exit.
>  Instead, the developer assumed I had your knowledge of Linux. As a result I am now faced with the problem of how to clean up a godawful mess. I refuse to accept the blame for poor documentation.

No, they assume you have the knowledge to find out how to use your system.

No one is born with this knowledge. People learn it... or not.