[PLUG] off-topic: digital camera recommendation

Evan Heidtmann evan at evanheidtmann.info
Tue Jun 20 16:12:25 UTC 2006

I've never used a D50. I used a D70 the other day for about 5 minutes,
and I didn't really see anything wrong with it.

I have been very pleased with my Canon Digital Rebel XT (aka 350D). It's
very quick, light, and easy to operate. The kit lens is disappointing,
but it's my understanding that pretty much all kit lenses are.

I recommend you take a close look at the reviews on this site:

http://dpreview.com/

They do very good reviews of a lot of cameras, and even if they don't
have a review, they will have a comprehensive list of specs. The Nikon
D50 review is here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/

You will be able to get a good camera for under $1000, but if you want
to enjoy your new toy to its fullest, you'll be investing in some good
lenses, which can put you about as far over $1000 as you want.

I bought my Rebel XT from a local store in the Beaverton area called
Advance Camera. They're good and very knowledgeable, but they're a small
store so you may have to buy the camera before you can lay your hands on
it.

That is a very important point. Make sure you handle the camera before
you buy it -- it really matters how well it fits in your hands.

-Evan