[PLUG] Flash on Firefox in Fedora - what's the magic?

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 18:05:02 UTC 2006

On 6/20/06, Michael Rasmussen <mikeraz at patch.com> wrote:
> Google is not being helpful - mostly because all the links point to a
> non-functioning site.
>
> Freshly installed Fedora Core 5 system with default Firefox install.  I hit a page
> that required flash so I clicked through to do the install from the Firefox
> plug-in page.  It installed and reported as successful.
>
> No flash plugin is reported in about:plugins, flash segments of pages don't display.
>
> download the Flash plugin installer and run it. Note the files are where I'd
> expect them to be.
>
> No flash plugin is reported in about:plugins, flash segments of pages don't display.
>
> No errors are reported in any of the installation methods.  Run them as self
> (which installs to ~/.mozilla) or root (which installs to /usr/local/...)
>
> What am I missing that is preventing flash use on this system?

Somebody has helpfully packaged the flash plugin as an RPM.  You can
setup the yum repository by following the instructions at
http://macromedia.mplug.org/ but it is easier to just install the rpm
directly.

rpm -Uvh http://macromedia.mplug.org/rpm/RPMS.macromedia/flash-plugin-7.0.63-1.i386.rpm

If you are still having problems, check the mozilla and firefox plugin
directories to make sure the symlinks are correct.

 - Ian