[PLUG] OSCamp call for Speakers

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 19:59:23 UTC 2006

Hi all,

If you've been to a meeting in the last few months, you may have heard
me mention OSCamp.  If you didn't go to Recent Changes Camp, you're
probably wondering what OSCamp is "about."  The answer is that it's
about whatever you make it about, but I'm trying to make that more
tangible for those with less imagination.

  http://oscamp.org/Call_for_Speakers

We're looking for presentations like:

  "Have you thought of using this open-source technology in your
$underfunded_cause organization?"

  "This small business would have had to close the doors without
$open_source_technology_x."

And other sorts of talks with these qualities:

  * light on tech
  * neat / warm-fuzzy
  * community / small biz / government / education
  * mildly commercial / infommercial testimonials

These parameters are flexible.  My main goal is to get OSCamp to be a
gateway drug to oscon and/or OSS and/or Portland.

As I see it, the OSCamp crowd will consist of (hopefully)

  A.  oscon attendees who wandered in
  B.  community folk who couldn't afford/justify the cost of oscon
  C.  curious onlookers who might not otherwise be thinking about OSS

I'm shooting for a healthy C crowd, but I think getting some tangible
speakers/topics on the schedule is critical to making that happen.

If you're interested in speaking, please contact me and/or any other
OSCamp representative.

Of course, if you're not interested in speaking, still do come down and
see what it's all about.  If you're having trouble getting off work,
put a page that says there will be a session on "$topic related to
$job" on the wiki and show your boss :-)

Thanks,
Eric
--
"You can't win. You can't break even. You can't quit."
--Ginsberg's Restatement of the Three Laws of Thermodynamics