[PLUG] new guy with questions

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Mon Jun 26 03:52:43 UTC 2006

>From: "Rogan Creswick" <creswick at gmail.com>
> Finally, you can program in any paradigm in pretty much any language.
> It's possible to write functional C, and you can write procedural
> lisp.  Many paradigms aren't mutually exclusive either --
> Object-Oriented languages involve lots of procedural elements, and as
> I eluded to above, they have some functional aspects as well.
> Regardless of the language, if you do any work with interfaces you
> will need to use some sort of event-based paradigm.

My tendancy is not place OO in the same level as the procedural and
functional languages. Pretty well all the OO languages are procedural,
and OO is more a way of organizing the program, not of writing the
program.

Anyone who is decent with C writes OO programs. Just now there is a
formal term for type of organization used. The distinguishing
characteristic is simply that with an OO language, the compiler takes
care of creating the jump tables for you.

There is also the temptation to refer to the one group as dys-functional
languages.

>From: Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
>    Question: Which category offers the largest number among which to choose?
>
>      -- Programming languages (compiled and interpreted).
>      -- Linux distributions.
>      -- Text editors.
>      -- Craft breweries in the Pacific Northwest.

I'd guess the most is craft breweries, followed by programming languages,
then text editors with Linux distributions bringing up the rear of
this list. Though this is only a guess.

>From: Edward Terry <eterry at openboxbuilder.com>
> > Yes, this kind of does sound interesting.  I know that I am in the spoon
> > feeding stage on this, though and was looking to just get my feet wet.  Lisp
> > sounds attractive, and I have heard about Python and Ruby.
>
> HTML is another possibility, particularly if you're interested in
> building your own website.  It's easy to learn, and it's always useful
> to know.

If you show up at an advanced topics meeting and say that you might get
punched, and you will deserve that and more. Programming languages such
as Python or Ruby are at a completely different level than a text
formatting language like HTML. HTML is at worst linear complexity to
handle, Python and Ruby are vastly more complex.