[PLUG] ruby on rails hosting

David Duncan dduncan at hexi.com
Mon Jun 26 06:08:25 UTC 2006

Wanted to 2 or 3 existing domains to a new web host and also get into
ruby/rails (have previously been using php/mysql). I found a list of
providers at http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/RailsWebHosts but
there's not much in the way of reviews.

I've looked briefly at godaddy and railsplayground, but I'm concerned
about hooking up w/ a service too big to care or too small to have
proper security and/or handle popularity spikes.

Railsplayground looked promising, just wondered if anyone had used it.

Since I'm more interested in development than running existing packages
from others, 'the official ruby on rails host' (textdrive) is apparently
not for me.  I found this rather designer-hostile statement in their
FAQ...

Q:"Can I use my account for development or testing?"
A:"Absolutely not. TextDrive does not allow the shared and business
servers to be used for testing, development, tinkering or sandboxing in
any form."

Any feedback on good hosts appreciated!