[PLUG] USB Turntable

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jun 26 17:34:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 08:01:33 -0700
"Richard C. Steffens" <rsteff at comcast.net> dijo:

> I've had a little time to try out the USB turntable using Audacity on my
> XP laptop. I haven't had time to clear all the dependencies and get
> Audacity 1.2.3 or higher installed on my Linux machine (SuSE 9.1). The
> earlier version of Audacity doesn't look like it supports the USB
> interface, but it may be my ignorance of how to "wire" the connection in
> the OS.

I just opened Synaptic on my Dapper-64 installation and it listed
Audacity 1.2.4b, so I installed it. Seems to run just fine. Can't find
any button for USB interface, though. Also, it uses that hideous gtk1.2
interface where I have no options to change the appearance. Oh well.
I'll only need to look at it while ripping my vinyl, and then never
again. It has TONS of bells and whistles, and I have no idea what any
of them do. I'm an idiot when it comes to multimedia stuff because I've
never been interested in it and have always ignored the whole subject.
If I need multimedia stuff done I just get one of the teenagers from up
the street. :)

During the installation Synaptic gave me warnings that stuff wasn't
supported, and there were several libraries it had to install. Didn't
end up with any dependency issues, though.