[PLUG] Why is java is evil ???? (was "new guy with questions")

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Mon Jun 26 20:55:23 UTC 2006

alan wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Bill Ensley wrote:
>
>> OK, So I was "born" into my programming career using Java, but I have
>> Taken the time to learn a bit of C, C++, ASP, Perl, and Visual Basic
>> (eeewww).
>>
>> I really enjoy programming in Java and it does all that I need,
>> That is to say that I can share code across my desktop apps,
>> My web apps, and my applets.  (Yes I need all three)
>>
>> Is there anyone on this list that can give me a truly unbiased :)
>> Reason why I shouldn't use Java for all of this?
>
> Not really.
>
> The main perception of Java as "evil" has been from the non-free license
> agreement the Sun tools have had.  Other than that, it it works then use
> it.

this is a bit unfair, and IMHO wrong perception. The biggest disadvantage of
Java applications is that somehow you always end up with a klunky JRE on your
system, and that java itself is a byte-compiled system (the language isn't,
but the implementation is).

This may seem very efficient for modern (fast, large memory) systems but every
time I see a phone load a java game (for 30 seconds...), I cannot think
otherwise than that java is not well suited for any embedded application, even
though the mobile phone industry thinks I prefer to swallow it :)

Most older programmers don't want to see the large layer of obscurity that the
VM adds in between - and certainly it's going to be tough doing kernel
programming in Java.

That makes Java the ultimate application programming language: it will never
be (POV) suitable for anything lowlevel as kernel code. You won't see much
Java books on a linux kernel hackers' bookshelf :)

Cheers,

Auke