[PLUG] Re: new guy with questions

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 00:21:22 UTC 2006

On 6/26/06, Robert Citek <rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2006, at 5:21 PM, m0gely wrote:
>
> > Dave wrote:
> >
> >> A rule-of-thumb test to see if something is a programming language
> >> is to ask if there's a way to say 'if' in the language you're using.
> >
> > <b>IF</b>
> >
> > =]  I don't consider it a programing language either. I was just
> > being difficult.
>
> Would XSLT be considered a programming language?  XSLT is written in
> XML, which is a mark-up language like HTML.

Yes.  It is declarative, functional language specialized to doing tree
transformations on XML. It is Turing complete.  You wouldn't want to
use it for general-purpose programming but it is a programming
language.

You could create a normal programming language in XML. XML is just a
syntax for markup languages.  The specific markup languages can be
interpreted as a programming language.  It is usually used for data
structures and is most suited for documents.

 - Ian