[PLUG] Why is java is evil ???? (was "new guy with questions" )

Jason Van Cleve jvancleve at chrome.com
Tue Jun 27 00:57:07 UTC 2006

Right, the VM is what allows for cross-platform compatibility, which is an
advantage most Linux users can appreciate.  It's really not klunky, just
something you have to install once.  So how is bytecode worse than native
binaries, notwithstanding the very marginal performance hit?

> Most older programmers don't want to see the large layer of
> obscurity that the
> VM adds in between - and certainly it's going to be tough
> doing kernel
> programming in Java.

Kernel programming in Java?  Would you pick your teeth with a javelin?  How
about writing a word processor in assembler?  That "layer of obscurity" is
also a good thing.  It means that Java programmers don't have to worry about
how things are done at a lower lever, so it's much easier to code complex
operations while avoiding many of the memory leaks and security holes that C
and C++ tend to foster.

> That makes Java the ultimate application programming
> language: it will never
> be (POV) suitable for anything lowlevel as kernel code. You
> won't see much
> Java books on a linux kernel hackers' bookshelf :)

Indeed, most kernel hackers know one tool from another.  But Mr. Ensley was
asking about using Java for his Web app's and desktop app's, for which Java
is eminently suited.  The licensing issues surrounding it have been debated
for years, but I would say it's more just idealism than any practical
consideration.

--Jason V. C.