[PLUG] Why is java is evil ???? (was "new guy with questions" )

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Tue Jun 27 17:34:54 UTC 2006

Bill Ensley wrote:
> It's my understanding that you can program badly in any language,
> What you needed to do was probably just fine in java, but the
> Developer just didn't optimize properly.

 From a design standpoint this is completely irrelevant: the compiler really
should do the optimization for you - it knows best which data is duplicate and
can be optimized, and it knows the subarchitecture better than the programmer.

Even better: the programmer should not need to know how to optimize code other
than write ""decent"" code. Decent code is always good. Optimized code often
compromises stability, readability and (funny enough) performance.

Auke