[PLUG] Dapper + Reiser

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Tue Jun 27 21:30:20 UTC 2006

Tim Slighter wrote:
> Considering all the issues you are having, how could you possibly say
> that reiser is no faster than ext3 given the circumstances?  That is
> kind of like racing a porsche down a road and in the process the road
> gets torn asunder and then sending a GTO down the same path over
> potholes and gaps and large chunks of asphalt everywhere and claiming
> that the GTO is no faster than the porsche.

I'd say that if he has a recently new system with large L2 cache, a big fast
disc with more cache, and isn't running some obscure benchmark test, he will
not be able to point out the difference between ext3 and reiserfs.

Reiserfs is _not_ the end-all aweness of filesystems. It does a few things
faster than ext3 (but please, which user really uses something intensive as
git or deletes entire kernel trees every hour (such as me) and actually gets
in the range where you would be able to spot the difference...). Ext3 in its
turn does a few things faster than reiserfs too, and the differences are
mostly not large.

car analogy: both the GTO and the porsche only go as fast as the traffic jam.
The porsche however requires expensive european maintenance and a mechanic
which is a jerk, whereas the GTO can be reassembled using two pliers and duck
tape, and fits older carburator-engines without using a hacksaw. ;^)

cheers,

Auke