[PLUG] Dapper + Reiser

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jun 27 23:58:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:27:23 -0700
"Tim Slighter" <tcslighter at gmail.com> dijo:

> Considering all the issues you are having, how could you possibly say
> that reiser is no faster than ext3 given the circumstances?  That is
> kind of like racing a porsche down a road and in the process the road
> gets torn asunder and then sending a GTO down the same path over
> potholes and gaps and large chunks of asphalt everywhere and claiming
> that the GTO is no faster than the porsche.

/me moves over and stands next to Auke.

What I was reporting was simply how it performed for me on my computer
in my world. I noticed no difference. I know some people on this list
are maintaining servers that are being bombarded with disk read/writes
from users all day long. And some of you regularly copy gigs of data
from one place to the next. Reiserfs may be faster for you, then. Or
not. I don't know. I just know that in my world it made no difference
at all. And when I factor in the compatibility issue, it's a
no-brainer. It was not my intent to suggest that Reiserfs was no faster
than ext3 in all situations or for all users.