[PLUG] Cannot Start acpid On Notebook

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jun 29 19:52:35 UTC 2006

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Aaron Burt wrote:

> Similarly weird thing lappened on my lapdog.  ACPId just stopped loading.
> Went into BIOS setup, and the "OS supports Plug & Play" option was blank,
> instead of saying Yes or No. Set it to No (or Yes, didn't matter) and ACPI
> started working again. Dang cosmic rays.

   Unfortunately, I don't have the excuse of heat wave, cosmic rays, flooding
in New Joisey, or anything else. I was running the stock 2.4.31 kernel
installed with the distribution upgrade, and while apm was turned on, acpi
was not built and included. Sigh. User error. Mea culpa!

   I'm just about done building the modules now for the 2.4.32 kernel. Will
get that installed, reconfigure lilo (and source it), and I suspect that
acpid will load and run.

Thanks, Aaron,