[PLUG] Remote backup of /home/<user>

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jun 30 13:19:50 UTC 2006

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Charlie Schluting wrote:

> Incrementals help in the case of accidental deletions, but other than that,
> I don't see much use for them.

Charlie,

   I run incremental backups Monday-Thursday nights (actually, Tuesday-Friday
mornings at 1:30 am) on the system, and a full backup starting at 10:30 pm
Fridays. I've been doing this for years and it makes sense to back up that
laptop, too.

> I have an rsync script in my laptop's homedir, and I just run it every once
> in a while. I have it detect where I am, so I can backup to different
> desktops (work and home). It normally runs in just a few seconds, since
> most of the data rarely changes.

   The suggestion sent to me off the list that seems to be the most simple and
useful is to buy a small USB thumb and write a shell script that will tar and
copy that ~/ to the device. Then I can bring it to the main
server/workstation and put another copy on that. For once a week or so, that
will do well.

Thanks,