[PLUG] Dumb DNS Question?

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Mar 1 18:17:44 UTC 2006

On 1 Mar 2006, at 9:47, Paul Mullen wrote:

> Is Sylpheed configured to send outgoing e-mails to a Comast SMTP
> server? Can it be configured to send through a PSU SMTP server
> instead (or better, a different SMTP server for each account it's set
> up for).

Each of the three accounts sends through that account's SMTP
server.

> Comcast probably has their SMTP servers set up to not accept (without
> authentication, at least) incoming connections from IP addresses
> outside of a Comcast-controlled network.

Possibly true, except I had problems configuring Sylpheed for the
Comcast account. Problem was that I had a typo in the password.
Even so, I could send, I just couldn't receive. In the troubleshooting
(before figuring out it was just a dumb-ass typing problem) I
discovered that Comcast does not do any checking for passwords
on sending. Still, it's possible that they check to see if it is coming
from a Comcast user. However, that doesn't explain why the other
two accounts also can't send. One is Hotpop and the other is a
business account for a domain that I own, hosted at pairNetworks.