[PLUG] firewall

Michael M. debian at writemoore.net
Thu Mar 2 13:51:21 UTC 2006

plug_0 at robinson-west.com wrote:

> With my own confusion about ports, flags, and addressing, it
> seems that IP networking needs a lot of work.  Supposedly IPv6
> is out, but doesn't IPv6 require new hardware?  It appears with
> IPv6 that there are security problems, at least with Bind 9
> aleady.

IPv6 is here, but it doesn't work for me under Debian.  I had to turn it
off completely in order to use Firefox, Mozilla and Ephiphany.
Konqueror, however, worked fine, but I think the version I was using was
not IPv6-enabled.  Also, w3m worked when invoked with the "-4" (IPv4
only) option.  Otherwise, it would time out like the others.

But I don't know about the new hardware requirement.  My machine, a
flat-panel iMac, is (IIRC) five years old, or four at the least.  IPv6
works fine under OS X, using both Safari and Camino.  Maybe you were
referring to routers or modems?

--
Michael