[PLUG] Dumb DNS Question? (port 25 filtering)

plug_0 at robinson-west.com plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Thu Mar 2 06:04:26 UTC 2006

> No. You can send email if you configure a PSU server as your SMTP
> server, using your login credentials. Alternatively, you can use port
> 587 (submission) or 465 (SMTP SSL) if comcast supports it.
>
> I thought we covered this once before? :)
> Briefly, PSU blocks outgoing port 25 connections to stop
> spammers/students from sending spam. Intentional or not, it was a huge
> problem that had to be dealt with.. that's what happens when you let the
> public connect to a network. (wireless, library, resnet, etc)
> Not to mention infected boxes..
>
> -Charlie

Authenticating who sends email through PSU servers and requiring that it
be encrypted, doesn't this smack of censorship and a pointless approach
to spam control?  How many people are afraid of being identified?  Even
if you are identified, how much can PSU do about it considering the
first amendment?  Maintaining an advanced environment that requires
people to possess intimate knowledge to use it efficiently, especially
in a large University where it's easy to get lost in the crowd, doesn't
strike me as particularly conducive to productivity or learning.  Since
when are college students professionals that are comfortable with
sophisticated environments?  Maybe this makes sense for PSU where
the average student is probably over 30.