[PLUG] firewall

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Fri Mar 3 00:19:00 UTC 2006

>From: "Michael M." <debian at writemoore.net>
> plug_0 at robinson-west.com wrote:
> > With my own confusion about ports, flags, and addressing, it
> > seems that IP networking needs a lot of work.  Supposedly IPv6
> > is out, but doesn't IPv6 require new hardware?  It appears with
> > IPv6 that there are security problems, at least with Bind 9
> > aleady.
>
> IPv6 is here, but it doesn't work for me under Debian.  I had to turn it
> off completely in order to use Firefox, Mozilla and Ephiphany.
> Konqueror, however, worked fine, but I think the version I was using was
> not IPv6-enabled.  Also, w3m worked when invoked with the "-4" (IPv4
> only) option.  Otherwise, it would time out like the others.

Define "doesn't work". Though it isn't fully supported, a lot of Debian
is fine with IPv6. Some programs do need recompilation to enable IPv6
support. Multiple folks are filing non-wishlist bugs against packages
which fail to support IPv6.

Note that your ISP does need to support IPv6, or you need a tunnel to get
to IPv6 sites.

> But I don't know about the new hardware requirement.  My machine, a
> flat-panel iMac, is (IIRC) five years old, or four at the least.  IPv6
> works fine under OS X, using both Safari and Camino.  Maybe you were
> referring to routers or modems?

How many routers actually do IP in hardware? Even Cisco routers which
were designed to do IPv4 in hardware, can do IPv6 in hardware though it
took them a long time to implement.