[PLUG] HP Linux imaging and printer

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Mar 3 07:43:03 UTC 2006

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 22:30:36 -0800
Ed Sawicki <ed at alcpress.com> wrote:

> As far as I can tell, HP has no Linux support for any of
> their scanners. I'm talking new scanners - something you
> can buy at a store. Is this the case?

I wanted one of those super-small and lightweight USB scanners so I could take it to the university with me if necessary. I can't remember where I found it -- Xsane website maybe -- but there is a web page somewhere that lists just about every scanner out there complete with how it works in Linux. I ended up getting a Canon LiDE 30 for under $100 on eBay and it is perfect, albeit kind of slow. Weighs just a few pounds and the color even matches my computer. Every feature is completely supported and works great with Xsane. I just plug it in, fire up Xsane, and scan away. But watch out -- the LiDE 30 is the model from like two years ago and it is the last of the line that work with Linux. Canon changed something deep inside the later models and none of them work with Linux.

As for HP, they used to make pretty good scanners, although never cutting edge. Nevertheless, reliable and well supported. I have an ancient IIcx on my desktop and in spite of its age it still works fine. But under the previous régime the decision was made to come out with new models every few months in order to boost sales, even though the only change was a different paint job. In the process, quality sank. And support pretty much disappeared also. I'd look elsewhere today.