[PLUG] Linux Certifications

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Sat Mar 4 18:38:09 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 01:30:52PM +0000, rmannon at comcast.net wrote:
> Do you guys/gals think the sys admin certs are a well rounded, or
> should I go after  some of those all encompassing linux jujitsu master
> certs that cost an arm and a leg.

They're all sysadmin certs, right?  Sure, the Red Hat one is more
expensive and has a practical exam, but they all take some knowledge.

I took the LPI Level 1 exams at Free Geek a while ago, and even as a
7-year Linux user/admin, I learned some new stuff while preparing for it.

I'd suggest starting with that and an A+, and look at achieving a basic
SAGE skill level.  They have a standard for rating sysadmins; a SAGE
Level 2 admin is pretty dang competent.  (It's self-rated, not by exam.)

People know A+ certifications now, and "Linux Professional Institute"
looks pretty good on a resume.  CCNAs aren't that hard to get, either.

Let your employer pay for the expensive ones.  And don't forget, you can
deduct tuition.

Move fast, there's lots of folks hiring sysadmins right now.  I think
PSU Office of IT is still looking for a Linux/Solaris admin.  Hey, free
tuition and generous benefits...