[PLUG] Software problem or bad motherboard?

eehouse eehouse at eehouse.org
Sun Mar 5 05:17:09 UTC 2006

> LILO problem.  Need to either have a small /boot partition at the
> start of the drive, or use grub instead.

Forget my previous reply/question: you're entirely right.  The "boot
floppy" and "bootable CD-ROM" I was trying with don't boot any other
machine either, lables notwithstanding.  Once I'd made a floppy that
could boot a working machine it booted the broken one as well.  It was
an ancient debian rescue disk, on a 2.2 kernel, but with it I was able
to run grub-install, reboot to "L 07 07 07" again, boot off the floppy
and run grub-install again, and finally boot off of the hard drive.
As far as I can tell, the machine's back to working.  No motherboard
problems here.

lilo is not on the machine.  I don't understand how it got involved in
the boot process.  But I'm happy now, and can worry about that some
other time. :-)

Thanks very much for your help this Saturday evening!

--Eric