[PLUG] ip, udp, tcp terminology

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Tue Mar 7 00:20:58 UTC 2006

Carla Schroder wrote:
> O networking geeks, do we care about "datagrams" and "segments" and "packets",
> or can we just call everything a packet without fighting over it?

IMHO they're all packets... to differentiate between the various levels
is just going in to more specifics than is usually necessary unless
you're dealing with very knowledgeable and nitpicky network engineers.

When we speak of datagrams, frames, or whatnot... does the context tell
us what layer we're dealing with even if the proper packet term isn't
used?  If not, then you're not communicating effectively with whoever
you're communicating with.

Rob