[PLUG] mounting an ISO read/write?

Kurt Sussman plug at merlot.com
Wed Mar 8 04:52:35 UTC 2006

I have an ISO that boots FreeBSD. It won't boot on my client's PC
because the APIC is in the FreeBSD blacklist. So I want to turn it off
for booting. Easy, except that I can't get the ISO mounted RW under
Linux.

I have tried a whole slew of command lines to get it mounted RW, and I
never get an error until I actually try to write. Then I get errors.

  legs:/mnt/boot# chmod 666 device.hints
  chmod: changing permissions of `device.hints': Read-only file system

Here's the mount line I used for this one:

  mount -t iso9660 -o rw,loop ../ISOs/FreeNAS-0.6.iso /mnt

I've also tried using the '-w' mount option, and remounting it as rw.
Same results.

The ISO file is writable. The mount directory is writable. The loop
device is writable.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--Kurt