[PLUG] mounting an ISO read/write?

Kurt Sussman plug at merlot.com
Wed Mar 8 05:15:24 UTC 2006

AthlonRob (AthlonRob at axpr.net) typed this ...
> Kurt Sussman wrote:
> > The ISO file is writable. The mount directory is writable. The loop
> > device is writable.
>
> ISO 9660 is a read-only filesystem.  You can't just dynamically write
> data to it....

I was wondering about that.

A deeper google suggests that ISOs are built whole, and not as
filesystems. If it can be mounted as a filesystem, though, why can't
someone write a 'write' function for isofs?

I guess I have to build a FreeBSD machine so I can run the build process
and make a fresh ISO with the necessary flags set. Oh well. Maybe
there's a bootable CD I can use.

Thanks.

--Kurt