[PLUG] Can I make a link happen automatically?

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Mar 8 05:30:57 UTC 2006

Some time ago I installed Firefox in the 32-bit chroot environment
on my Ubuntu-64 Breezy laptop, along with Adobe Reader and
RealPlayer. Right after I installed it I discovered I couldn't go
anywhere with it. Other applications in the 64-bit world had no
problem. After much advice and suggestions from people here I
finally determined that it was a DNS problem. The chroot
environment was not seeing the DNS server addresses in
/etc/resolv.conf, which apparently change whenever I connect to a
different place, e.g., going from home to PSU, back again, etc.

With more help from people here I now have a little command to
enter that links the 64-bit version to the 32-bit version of resolv.conf:

sudo ln -f /etc/resolv.conf /chroot/breezy/32bits/etc/resolv.conf

This works great. However, it is a pain in the neck. I need to
automate the process somehow. My first choice would be to create
some kind of command that would make the link update
automatically any time there is a change in the file in the 64-bit
world. I.e., if /etc/resolv.conf changes it will automatically trigger
the link command.

As a second choice, can I add the link command in front of the
command that launches Firefox-32 (the one installed in chroot)?
The command to launch 32-bit Firefox in the Gnome application
drop-down menu is "dchroot -d firefox %U." Could I just stick the
link command in front of it by adding some secret code in between
so Linux will realize it is two commands, not just one?

Or does anyone have a better way to avoid having to open a
terminal and type out that command and my password every time I
go to a new place?