[PLUG] mounting an ISO read/write?

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Wed Mar 8 05:50:42 UTC 2006

>From: AthlonRob <AthlonRob at axpr.net>
> Kurt Sussman wrote:
> > The ISO file is writable. The mount directory is writable. The loop
> > device is writable.
>
> ISO 9660 is a read-only filesystem.  You can't just dynamically write
> data to it....

That is the way it was designed, but it might be possible to do dynamic
writing with the right hacks. I notice that recent 2.6 kernels have
support for packet writing (used for CD-RW and DVD-RW drives with RW
media). Perhaps only other filesystems read-write on RW media, but that
is something (but not portable).

>From: Kurt Sussman <plug at merlot.com>
> A deeper google suggests that ISOs are built whole, and not as
> filesystems. If it can be mounted as a filesystem, though, why can't
> someone write a 'write' function for isofs?

It wasn't designed to handle constantly changing data. After all
originally all CDs were prerecorded. Might be possible if someone tried
though.