[PLUG] odd returns on ping

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Wed Mar 8 08:18:54 UTC 2006

> On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 13:41 -0800, Josh wrote:
>> I just set up a second network on two linux boxes and I'm seeing odd
>> things when trying to connect between the two machines.  They are
>> directly connected with a crossover and are both on eth1 and have IP's
>> of 192.168.1.108/109.  When I try to ping from 109 to 108 I get this
>> returned:
>
> Where did the crossover cable come from?  Could it be wired incorrectly?
> Could it be too short?  What are the brand and model of NIC's being
> used?  What drivers are running them?
>
> Just curious,
>
> --
> Derek Loree <drl at drloree.com>

Sorry for the late response.  Left town.  The crossover cable was made by
someone and lent to me.  I tried two different ones.  The nic cards are
RTL 8139 and not sure about the other nic card yet.  I think a realtek
also.  It was configured with the detected driver from CENTOS install.
Problem is on the new server I'm forgetting the passwords.  It is late at
night.  I'll sleep on this then get back to it.  I'm still confused as I
only fund one place on the internet with the same error and no answer.
Almost seems like a hardware issue but no idea.

Thanks.

Josh