[PLUG] Fun with web logs

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Wed Mar 8 14:57:41 UTC 2006

Scanning some web logs I saw this entry:

202.108.22.78 - - [07/Mar/2006:21:53:00 -0800] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 4199 "-"
  "Baiduspider+(+http://www.baidu.com/search/spider.htm)"

That's curious.  What is that spider?  Visiting that link brings up a page in
Chinese that I can't comprehend.  A little research lead me to:

 http://ir.baidu.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=188488&p=irol-homeprofile

  Many people have asked about the meaning of our name. "Baidu" was
  inspired by a poem written more than 800 years ago during the Song
  Dynasty. The poem compares the search for a retreating beauty amid
  chaotic glamour with the search for one's dream while confronted by
  life's many obstacles.  "... hundreds and thousands of times, for her
  I searched in chaos, suddenly, I turned by chance, to where the lights
  were waning, and there she stood." Baidu, whose literal meaning is
  hundreds of times, represents persistent search for the ideal.

What a great story.  Makes Google look cold and heartless.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity