[PLUG] Can I make a link happen automatically?

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Mar 8 16:28:56 UTC 2006

On 7 Mar 2006, at 23:37, Aaron Ten Clay wrote:

> You could create a script to run both commands, or (not being a gnome
> user I don't know for sure) it may be possible to separate multiple
> commands with a semicolon.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and it's half working. I edited
the launch command in the drop-down applications by adding the
link command in front, follwed by a semicolon, then the launch
command. When I tried it all I got was "firefox is loading," then the
message disappeared and nothing launched.

So then I thought I'd try it from the command line, because that
usually gives a bunch of error messages. But strangely, it launched
from the command line. Assuming maybe I made a typo in the
menu editor, I went back to the menu editor and copied and pasted
exactly what the launch command was into the command line and
it still worked in the command line. So evidently the menu editor
(smeg) has issues with semicolons.

> Another way you could do this would be creating a cron job to run once
> a minute that checks the modification time of both files, and copies
> the resolver configuration into the chroot when it's stale.

I don't want to wait 60 seconds after booting before being able to
get on the net. Can a cron job be run more often, like every five
seconds or so? If so, would that be a drag on the system? I know
nothing of cron, but I'll go check it out if this is a viable solution. I
just don't want to bog down my computer. I read "man cron" but
didn't understand more than a few words of it.

> A third option would be to investigate having your dhcp client update
> both files. Some of them can update multiple files, or be piped to a
> script which runs tee and gets both files modified. (dhcpcd is the one
> I'd investigate first)

This is over my head. I've heard of dhcp -- doesn't that have
something to do with the connection? I know I have to specify
"dhcp" in the choices in System > Administration > Networking.
What is "your dhcp client"? I tried "man dhcpcd" and "man dhcp,"
but nada. Is dhcpcd something on my computer? Or on the
connection end? Sorry I'm too dumb about this stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions.