[PLUG] Can I make a link happen automatically?

Jason R. Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 06:44:46 UTC 2006

On 3/8/06, Rogan Creswick <creswick at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/7/06, John Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > sudo ln -f /etc/resolv.conf /chroot/breezy/32bits/etc/resolv.conf
> >

> Could some one explain why you need to do this more than once?  Is
> something in the chroot blowing away this link periodically? If so,
> that sounds like the problem that should be fixed...

DHCP client daemons typically move the existing resolv.conf to a
backup and create a new one with the DNS info from the DHCP server, so
they can restore the original later.  The hard link would have to be
maintained with the most recent file created by the DHCP client
daemon.  As it is, I would guess the 64-bit resolv.conf he created the
link from either got unlinked (deleted) or moved to a backup which
doesn't contain the right info and isn't used by the 64-bit
application environment.

I think the easiest solution is either what Aaron suggested (a FF
script wrapper that updates the link) or investigating if there's a
place in the networking scripts to insert a post-DHCP update script.

Jason