[PLUG] mounting an ISO read/write?

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Thu Mar 9 16:47:56 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 18:10 -0800, Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> >From: Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>
> > On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 21:50 -0800, Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> > > That is the way it was designed, but it might be possible to do dynamic
> > > writing with the right hacks. I notice that recent 2.6 kernels have
> > > support for packet writing (used for CD-RW and DVD-RW drives with RW
> > > media). Perhaps only other filesystems read-write on RW media, but that
> > > is something (but not portable).
> >
> > I think "packet writing" is a different filesystem--UDF.
>
> Is UDF distinct from ISO9660?

Yes

> My understanding is packet writing isn't a filesystem at all, instead an
> alternative mode of writing that works with optical media, instead of
> conventional block-by-block which they apparently have problems with.

No, it isn't a filesystem, but because it works differently than the
disk-at-once or track-at-once mode that ISO9660 was designed for, it
benefits from a new filesystem.

Wikipedia has a nice set of pages on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>