[PLUG] got info?

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Mar 13 17:43:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Christian wrote:

> I am going to be giving a short presentation to 20 people on Why they should
> use Linux instead of Windows. They are students. Is there anything else I
> should include? I have stats for proof of numbers
>
> Overview of Linux and Windows
>
>  1.
>
>     cost

You also need to include the cost of the equivelent apps.

With Windows, when you buy the OS you get a small number of apps.  (It
varies depending on how you got it.  Some machines have additional apps
bundled.) Anything beyond that is extra.  (And the prices can add up
quick.)

Think about what it would cost to add

- An office suite
- C and C++ compilers
- HTML editors
- Image manipulation software
- Server applications (html, mail, database, etc.)
- media applications
- CD/DVD burners

and so on...

To get the same types of software for Windows that comes with most Linux
systems would be many thousands of dollars extra.  (Plus more everytime an
"upgrade" comes out.)

When I first started with Linux, the argument was "there was no software
for it".  Now there is too much.

It is possible to get ported apps for Windows, but you find that sometimes
there are limitations due to lack of features in Windows.  (Lack of fork,
weird threading model, lack of symlinks, weird case issues on filesystems,
etc.)

--
"George W. Bush -- Bringing back the Sixties one Nixon at a time."