[PLUG] got info?

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Mar 13 17:49:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Lost In Space wrote:

> Just a thought, but I believe that Linux could be infected with malware,
> spyware, viruses, and malicious code if it were created for Linux. Is this
> an incorrect thought. I may be totally incorrect as Linux does not use
> executibles as Windows does, but it does seem possible that it could be
> infected although much more difficult than Windows

It is quite possible.

They are much harder to spread, however.

Under Windows, the original assumption was that every user was the
equivelent to root.  Not the case anymore, but so many of the apps need
that sort of permissions to run that it is still the case on far too many
systems. (MS Word for a very long time required the ability to modify
system binaries in order to run.)

With Linux, users are not allowed (unless you do something stupid) to
modify system binaries.

--
"George W. Bush -- Bringing back the Sixties one Nixon at a time."