[PLUG] got info?

Christian christian at rocksolidservice.com
Mon Mar 13 19:35:28 UTC 2006

m0gely wrote:

> More than anything you should always recommend the right tool for the
> job.  I think a better approach to what /you/ are trying to do would
> be to emphasize the strengths of Linux rather than try to push dogma
> on to someone else.

~~~~~~~
This is meant to be an informative, yet compelling argument. Facts that
can be understood by completely non technical people.
~~~~~~~
> This may be true (to a point) for home users, but this is just not
> true as a blanket statement.  It requires context.  There seems to be
> this misconception that there are no ace admins in the Windows world.
~~~~~~~~~
I have not heard this 'misconception'.... maybe, ace admins think linux
guru's feel this way about them. Maybe they are incapable of dealing
with linux? Either way, this argument is not intended to be an attack on
either M$ or M$ admins.
~~~~~~~~~

> Look, go push Linux.  I like it and want more people to use it too.
> But keep it real.  Things like learning it in a day is a world apart
> from learning half a dozen basic tasks, which is what you probably
> really meant.  Linux has no viruses or vulnerabilities and can't be
> infected by such?  C'mon!  That's an outright lie!  I could tear apart
> a lot more of your points (like Windows not having the *same* free
> support you speak of for Linux) as well but I just don't have time.
~~~~~~~~~
If this is an outright lie, then you must know of a Linux virus...
please state the source, so that I can find it. I have yet to find one
that was not a false virus. Also, where can we get this live and 'free
support'... I have looked but did not find anything. Many students are
poor and would appreciate this information.
~~~~~~~~~

> People have to know what they're getting into.  They need to know that
> many times Linux is work.  That you are rarely able to just download
> and install a program you need with Linux compared to the Windows way
> of doing things.  This is the perspective they'll be coming from, and
> if you don't speak on a level they can understand, then you haven't
> said anything at all.  You're pushed past advocate, through fanboyism
> and become an out of control train with some of what you say.
They can understand what these things are, as I will define them, virus,
spyware, etc. I would like for you explain where I have gone out of
control. Everything will be backed by evidence. It is obvious that you
are biased to M$, and that is ok... but I would like support for your
claims. Thanks much.

christian