[PLUG] Vonage...

plug_0 at robinson-west.com plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Sun Mar 12 16:32:15 UTC 2006

> The dynamic IP address assignment from Comcast is pretty static.  My
> cable modem has has had the same IP address for at least a year.
> Comcast wants to make it harder for people to host servers over their
> connections.  I bet it is also much easier to confgiure dynamic IP
> addresses for DHCP instead of static ones.

I don't use dynamic ip addresses privately because I don't understand how to
implement dynamic dns updates.  I'm afraid of the whole idea of letting
a computer, hopefully on the correct network, register a name in exchange for
a useful ip address.  Dynamic dns updating still looks experimental where it
is essential if you use dynamic ip assignment, unless you don't care about
being able to identify computers on your network by their ip address.
When you implement a firewall policy of computers are allowed out by
specific ip address, you have to know which ip goes to which computer.
The other downside of dynamic ip assignment is that it becomes harder,
in the event of a dns outage for example, to ssh into a specific
computer.

The other thing about dynamic ip assignment via dhcp, how do you network
boot a computer that has been given an ip address dynamically?

Long term, since the modem that I gave to my friend won't work over Vonage,
I'll have to come up with another plan to provide her with backup Internet
access.  She lives close enough to me that a radio link should be possible.

Concerning Comcast's cost, why did Comcast rent her the cable modem if she
signed up for the service during a promotion that offered free cable modem
after purchasing it?  More disturbing, what is this FCC regulatory cost she
is getting nailed with considering that she doesn't have cable tv and
was told there won't be any taxes when she signed up?  Her cable bill
claims that there is a new FCC tax affecting all cable customers.