[PLUG] Cable laying permit...

plug_0 at robinson-west.com plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Sun Mar 12 18:09:33 UTC 2006

Google search string that missed totally:

Scappoose Oregon cable laying permits -RV

I'm curious what it costs to get the necessary permits to run your own
cables along city streets?  Not that I can afford this now, but I am curious.
Comcast obviously got permits to run their network thoughout Scappoose
and St. Helens, what is the process for someone else to acquire similar
permits?  If you are able to site some kind of line, do you pay property
tax on it?

While competing with Comcast is obviously large scale, what about two people
who live down the street from each other that want a dedicated network?
Has anyone done a cable installation within a city block for a neighborhood
network?

Why do Comcast and the local phone company essentially have Internet Access
monopolies?  I haven't heard of any significant Comcast competitors in the
cable market, at least for Scappoose.  Satellite doesn't seem to be a decent
alternative for Internet because you usually have to have a phoneline to use
it.  I know Starband offers a two way satellite, but this product isn't
Linux friendly and it doesn't impress me.  It was installed in a company
I worked for briefly, I think it's a Radio Shack service.

Why didn't the local cell phone companies when they put their towers in in
Scappoose start offering high speed Internet access?

Are telephone and cable services expensive because a small number of
players have their own private networks, or are other reasons more
significant concerning the high cost?

Say I want to run a high speed coax cable or phone lines from one end of
Scappoose to the other, what would this most likely cost?

Michael C. Robinson
concerned networking enthusiast.